Friday, June 13, 2008

maybe i AM too american to live here.

You know what I want to do when I get home? I want to be nice to immigrants. Not that I was ever mean to them, but you know, I don’t think I ever really made an effort to go out of my way to be helpful. I want to really learn Spanish, and I want to run into the fields in California where the illegal immigrants work and give them all hugs. I don’t think I’ll ever again get impatient with someone having problems with English. I’ve only been away from home for like two months now, and even already I know how horrible it is to be separated from your family in a foreign country with a foreign language with foreign customs and foreign everything. Maybe when I go home I’ll see about teaching people English or something. I don’t know.

It’s been interesting talking to my roommate about this whole should I stay or should I go thing. She actually is probably the worst person to talk to.

Last night the Arabs in the neighboring village were shooting A LOT. It was actually a little scary. And I turned to my roommate and spoke over the sounds of BLAM BLAM BOOM BLAM! “You know, it might seem silly since this is only the Arabs celebrating a wedding or something, but this is the kind of stuff—like hearing gunshots and shit like that--that makes me want to stay. I hate the thought of abandoning Israel when I know there’s not going to be peace anytime soon and when I know that there’s the whole demographic war and when I know a lot of shit’s going to go down in the future. It makes me feel bad for wanting to leave because I feel like I’m jumping ship and leaving it for everyone else to deal with.”

And she just said in the nastiest, most condescending tone, “I don’t think you understand just how serious this stuff is here.” As if somehow she had this enormous reservoir of vast knowledge and deep understanding of the roots, history and current situation of the Israeli-Palestinian Conflictt, and that I was someone who just one day happened to show up in Israel without having ever heard of it. Like, “What’s an Israel?”

I don’t know. It was a little insulting coming from someone who only two weeks ago had no idea who Ehud Olmert was.



During my conversations with her on whether or not I should return home in September, she has said, “Well, you’re too American to live in Israel full-time.” What the fuck does that mean? The English guy here is as English as they come, but is he ‘too English?’ Is the Hungarian guy ‘too Hungarian?’ I found it a little insulting, like, “Oh, the stupid little Americans are too idiotic to cross the street by themselves, but all other nationalities of the world have been crossing the street by themselves for years now.” I wanted to tell her, “Oh yeah? Well, YOU are too fucking retarded for me to allow you out of the house, Roommate.”

I mean, I took that as a challenge. Like that was a direct challenge against me and the rest of the United States, and I wanted to be like, “Oh, I will show YOU who’s too American to be here” and then live the rest of my life in Israel just to spite her.

Actually, I think THAT would be ‘too American’ of me.


Maybe she does have a point though.

I will say that, no matter what I end up deciding to do, it’s been interesting. In LA I felt like how I was—half Jewish, half “native” American. In Chicago I felt 75% percent Jewish. And now in the Jewish homeland, I feel like 100 percent American and almost not Jewish at all. It’s been interesting because when I’m in Israel, I think of my brother who converted to Catholicism….and I kind of don’t care. In fact, I understand it a little better. Back in the US, it bothered me to no end that I had a brother who abandoned Judaism, but now that I’m in Israel I realize that until last year I knew close to nothing about Judaism. So I can kind of understand why my brother might find another religion more appealing, especially considering that there are a pant load of Catholics in the US and not as many Jews. Yes, I liked Israel, yes I was Jewish, but…..that’s about it. In contrast, I like the US too, and I’m American….and I actually grew up there and know its culture/history/whatever like the back of my hand.


Look, I don't want to shit talk Israel because I still love it, even if maybe I don't want to live here, but my point is that coming to Israel for someone like me is a little bit weird when I stand back and reflect on it. I think I found out what Shavuot was like two years ago (I learned about it briefly in Sunday school, but let’s be honest….no one pays attention there), but my entire childhood I got a basket on Easter (not from my family, but from a family friend). As I mentioned yesterday, I can only remember one family Passover seder, yet I can remember countless Christmases spent either at my cousins’ house or my granny’s house. Yes, I do enjoy Israeli music or Jewish music or klezmer music, but I have a huge reserve of fond memories that are associated with patriotic American songs or country music. I’ve known the words to “Dropkick Me Jesus” since I was a baby, yet I still don’t know the words to “Yerushalayim Shel Zahav.” Yes, I like “Hatikvah,” but I also like “The Star-Spangled Banner.” And the difference is that I actually have far more memories of “The Star-Spangled Banner,” like standing with my dad and my brothers at baseball games throughout my childhood, or like the last soccer game I saw in LA where the singer couldn’t get any of the words right or any part of the tune right and my dad and I were just cracking up to no end. Or of sitting in elementary school during music class and having to be taught the words (well, we already all knew the words, but no one ever remembers the order….), and I remember how bright red the teacher got because we were all being naughty. My memories of family vacations are of seeing all the historical sites important to the US or California—I have no fond childhood memories of touring Jewish sites or seeing Israel because I never came to Israel in my childhood.

I don’t bring this up because I want to. I bring this up because whenever I get into a discussion with a more religious friend here about going home or staying, he always flatly says to me, “America is not your country. You’re Jewish. Regardless of the fact that your dad is not Jewish, your mom is Jewish so you are 100 percent Jewish, so Israel is your country. America is not your country.”

How is America not my country? My parents have pictures of me dressed up for Halloween or school plays as the Statue of Liberty, Uncle Sam, Pocahontas (that’s maybe the fifth reference to her on this blog….I feel like I should get a prize), an American colonist, an American Indian who was NOT Pocahontas (but who mysteriously dressed exactly like her…), a pioneer, etc etc etc. * Oddly enough,* they have no pictures of me dressed as Ben Gurion or Golda Meir or whatever.
My idol in elementary school, the woman I named my favorite stuffed animal and later my dog after, was Dolley Madison—an American First Lady. I remember saying the Pledge of Allegiance in the morning at elementary school, and I remember American Appreciation Day every year where every class had to get up in front of all the parents and sing songs about the US. I remember elections, the 4 of July every year, Thanksgiving, the Super Bowl…..whatever you consider American, it was part of my childhood. My dad made sure of it. My mom made sure we were Jewish by sending us to Sunday school, but my dad made sure we were American by just SURROUNDING us with everything American. Actually, on the topic of my mother and father: I look almost nothing like my mother and her side of the family, but I look almost exactly like a female version of my dad and his side of the family. My family agrees that the family member whose personality and mind that mine most resemble are my dad’s. So I mean, let’s analyze this: if first off I’m only half ethnically Jewish, and when you throw in that in almost no way do I resemble the Jewish side of my family either mentally, physically, emotionally or politically, I guess you could conclude that I’m not particularly Jewish and that I’m probably more ethnically “American.”

I mean, given this and given everything that I’ve been rambling about for what seems like years now, how is the U.S. not my country?

Tell me again why Israel is my country and why people like the Jewish Agency expect me to feel ‘at home” here.

No, that’s not me being snarky. That’s an honest request. This is still an open debate. I want you to challenge me. I want you to say, NO Sam, you’ll be making a mistake if you go home.
This is a legit discussion. How does someone who grew up in a different country--a Christian country--with ½ a Christian family come to the Jewish nation and feel at home?

Challenge me, people!

2 comments:

Abraham said...

I don't know that I have an answer for you, but as the opposite equation of you, I'd like to say that I think you're creating too much of a binary dichotomy: here or there, American or Israeli, Jewish or Not. Cut that shit out. Instead of being all: I look like my dad, so I'm not Jewish or connected to Israel; or saying that your mom failed you by not being as successful at acculturating you to Judaism/Israel because your father had the home field advatnge--why can't you just honestly say "this is what I want, for me, because of me." Don't point to anyone else. I loved and love Israel, because I didn't feel left out there. I've always kicked it with non-Jews so I guess I've always felt a little out of it, and yes, I suppose I have an advantage in that my crazy religiosity makes me feel closer to Israel than ever.

Listen, the point is, I love and respect you no matter what, I just don't want you to cut and run just because it was tougher than you expected. You have many good reasons to stay, and many good reasons to return, that all stem from you and you alone. Respectfully, I submit that if you don't use those to guide you, you'll doubt yourself forever.

Love,
me

xaeff

Israeli by Day said...

Sam, Abraham has a good - nay, an outstanding point in telling you to cut out this binary dichotomy bullshit. It isn't about "i lived in america for 19 years so I'm American and that's that." We've done many things for our entire lives, but that doesn't mean it is the true and right path.

Listen, I'll give you my background so you can see that you are in fact not alone, neither in your background or your emotions/outlook.

My dad is not Jewish. he was raised southern baptist, and as a matter of fact his parents didn't come to the wedding of my parents or even talk to them for 2 years because he was marrying a New York Jew. true story. they started talking to my parents when my mom got pregnant, but then tried to give my bro and i Jesus-laden bibles and shit. they even had ulterior motives to talk to their fucking grandkids (love them to death, but that's the truth in why they reconnected with their doctor son - a successful and moral and upright guy that they disowned because he was in love with a JEW). so, I always grew up with that dichotomy bullshit inside me. I never doubted my judaism, however, since my mom and her family was such a strong influence on me as a jew. we were extremely traditional, very jewish, doing jewish things all the time, so we differ in that regard - but i always had to defend myself to other people. i remember one of the biggest influences in me getting really serious about orthodox judaism in high school was when a girl said behind my back "he's not a real jew." that pissed me off to no end, because that was all i ever was.

but, we never had israel in our radar. we knew about israel, i loved israel for being the homeland or whatever, but it was just an idea - no memories, no emotions, i had no connection besides thinking it was bad-fucking-ass that a country had a star of david on its flag. i knew israel was my place, but i had no idea what that meant.

i went to college, got all involved in israel stuff, jewish stuff, got all unrelentlessly zionistic, and hten i came here for 2.5 months. culture shock!

i hate israelis, i hate being poor while my friends back home with my same degree are getting 60k first year out of college, i hate feeling like an idiot because my landlord talks to me and i dont have a clue what he is saying - i hate that some homeless guy speaks hte Holy Tongue better than me. i hate that the messianic jews (i use the word in a lowercase manner for militant reasons) in my ulpan class were hands down better than me at learning the Holy Tongue, even though Rachel the Poet said that "Jews don't learn Hebrew; they remember it." I hate so so so much about this place.

but i love it for an idea. i live day to day with the IDEA that i am here, that i am alive, that I am going into a combat unit of an army of a country of who's language i work and work and work on and still suck at - that i am doing all that because i for whatever reason have merited to be able to help israel in an age out of all the generations of jews that have ever existed who have always begged Gd for the ability to help Jews and israel. i am alive and i live my day to day life on a pure idea:

that my life may be difficult and trying, but my struggle is heroic.

i'm not telling you to stay here. you were crazy to move here and not just come for a year program or something, considering how little experience you have with the land. BUT, nu, you're here, your hebrew seems fairly ok.

you don't have to love israelis, you don't have to love hebrew, you don't have to love judaism, you don't have to feel so fucking jewish - you have to love yourself at the end of the day. you have to volunteer at a center for terror victims, go home, stand in front of hte mirror and say "could i have done that in LA?"

don't just leave because israeli culture doesn't make you feel more jewish (it's not meant to - in fact, that's the israeli modus operandi, to create a secular ISRAELI culture), or because you miss your family (i miss mine terribly), or because your roommate is a cunt (she is, and she will always be one)... leave because you look in the mirror at the end of the day and say "i hate this fucking land. i get nothing out of seeing the kinneret, even knowing it is providing hte basis of life to so many distressed jews and israelis. i think hebrew is ugly and vulgar. the food makes me sick. etc"

don't worry about israel being the homeland. it is, but you don't have to embrace that in your first half a year here. that's dumb. just live your day to day with the knowledge that you are helping out (just by being here and working and smiling on the street at strangers) people that had to flee to A homeland, and you just happen to live there - and those people happen to be at least half of your blood line, and 100% your religion (even if you don't understand the religion).

you don't have to feel some overpowering emotional wellspring of epiphanies and utter joy and complete passion for this land in your day to day life. that is called bipolar disorder. you have to hope for that realization once a month, that feeling of "holy fuck, those are gunshots and those arabs HATE jews and israelis - and i am at least one of those things, and easily could be the other! FUCK YOU TOO! I love me and those people you hate - even though they are DICKS!"

if you go home, don't mope. kick fucking ass at whatever you want to do, because otherwise you will feel like you are meant to be doing something else. there is nothing wrong in going back to america, but just remember that depression and self-apathy follows you wherever you go.

i think this is a bigger decision than just a few blog posts and a month or two. take a week tiyul around the country, pray, have a heart to heart with a kind israeli. don't feel pressured by anyone. only listen to that bug in your gut.