Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Is this gonna be like Pride and Prejudice?

Today I actually felt a little better. One of the jobs that apparently would be open to people like me is said to always attract total bitches and unpleasant people. (Not that I’m saying I’m not a bitch just like them…) Obviously I don’t know much about army jobs, being a newcomer to this country, but just from asking around that’s the impression I got. But today at the bus stop I ended up getting into a 10 minute conversation with a 20 year old Israeli girl who happened to be doing that very job, and she seemed to say positive things about it. It didn’t sound like the most thrilling job on the planet, but all aspects of the actual work aside, it was reassuring to know that if nothing else that not everyone in that position is mean or miserable, and that at least one person in it was friendly and helpful. And it’s encouraging to know that maybe maybe maybe I’m wrong about the other jobs too.

Also, I spoke to the enlistment center, and asked if all this meant that I wasn’t eligible to do something combat-ish. The woman on the other end of the line sounded a bit surprised and said, “Oh, you want to do combat? Since you’re a girl you have to send a fax saying you wish to be considered for combat.” So I did. In the end, I might still end up with some kind of office job or “Lint Mistress” job* but at least now I don’t feel like my fate is completely decided.

*Lint Mistress refers to the first technical theater job I had at my university. I was in a design/tech class and we were all assigned to work on shows. They assigned too many people to work on this tiny, technically simple show so they had to make up job positions….and I was “Lint Mistress.” My job was literally to just pick lint off the male lead’s coat. So basically any ridiculously irrelevant or made-up job like this I now refer to as a “Lint Mistress” Job.


Today I ended up eating lunch at a place called something like, “King of Falafel and Shawarma.” It ended up being really gross. In my opinion, shwarma isn’t good shwarma unless you feel physically ill after eating it. Anyway, I ended up getting really upset with this place for calling themselves “The King,” when in fact they’re clearly a pretender to the throne. I sincerely hope that the one true king of shawarma, wherever he may be, will one day show himself and wage war against such flagrant treason. Now THAT is an army I would gladly fight in. One day we shall restore the rightful king to his rightful throne.

No comments: