Saturday, April 4, 2009

Romans? Yeah right...

So I’m a little freaked out about tomorrow. From 8 am to 5 pm I’m going to be in a Hebrew environment. And it’s not like being in a Hebrew environment when I’m out in town, where I can for the most part just choose not to say anything. Tomorrow I’m actually going to have to talk. I have to read things in Hebrew and then talk about them, I have to have group discussions with Israeli girls. G-d. Oh G-d. I’m gonna seem like a total idiot, having to say, “What?” “I don’t understand…” over and over again. And it’s different from other fully Hebrew exchanges I’ve had. Like at the army enlistment center, it was one-on-one stuff. Any soldier helping me was helping ONLY me at that moment, so I didn’t feel bad making them repeat themselves or whatever. But here I’m going to be one of many, so I can’t constantly be demanding repetition or explanation in simpler words.

Part of me is a little bit excited because it’ll give me a chance to see what level my Hebrew is at. Like, I’ll get to find out whether or not I can keep up with a discussion when it’s not a discussion among immigrants or if I’ll be able to understand directions when it’s not specifically phrased so that immigrants will understand. But….if it turns out that I cannot…I don’t know what I’ll do.

On an unrelated note, every single time that something goes kind of wrong in Israel (like the army telling me I have to redo medical tests a few weeks ago….or waiting at the Misrad Hapnim for 4 hours cos there was no electricity last year) or whenever something is bizarre or strange in Israel (like registering for Health Insurance at the Post Office—what??) the song “Rak B’Yisrael” (only in Israel) plays in my head. Almost like the song is mocking me. One of these days, when my Hebrew is good enough, I’m going to have to rewrite that song.

Narnadoooooon….Narnadoooooon…..



Okay, totally random now: I cannot believe Italians are descended from the Romans. I cannot imagine a people less like the Romans. It’s especially bizarre to think about this while watching the Italian soccer team as they dramatically and flamboyantly dive. Anyway, just something to think about with me…

No comments: